Thursday, April 3, 2008

WES C

We did an activity on atmospheric moisture advection and precipitation. It talks about the more dew there is on th ground the more likely it is going to rain. I learned that a dewpoint is a measure of water vapor component of air and water vapor transport depends on wind patters. For example, cold front, warm front, and stationary front. Cyclones are an area of low atmospheric pressure characterized by inward spiraling winds that rotate counter clockwise in the northern hemisphere and clockwise in the southern hemisphere of the earth. The wind flow rotates differently in different hemispheres due to Coriolis effect. There are also cyclones called Polar low. They're cyclones that are a low pressure weather system. This activity was interesting to me because I didn't know that the more due the more likely it was going to rain. I never know how dew and rain connected, I know they're both water, but I didn't realize how it could cause it to rain.

I found my information at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclone

No comments: